I can’t think of a better combination than rice with avocado.
This dish is the embodiment of that combination and is a wonderful meal for the summer months.
Especially cooling for Pitta and grounding for Vata try this avocado fried rice for a quick lunch or dinner —why not for breakfast?— to feel satisfied and make your belly smile.
This is one of the recipes I do whenever I just have leftover rice, a ripe avocado, and no time.
I use white basmati rice as I love its aroma and texture.
Rice is considered in Ayurveda to be sattvic, nourishing and easy to digest, but only if you cook it properly, with enough water and a bit of cumin seeds to facilitate its digestion. Otherwise it will promote gas, bloating, and constipation.
Its cold and heavy qualities help balance Pitta and Vata respectively, as Pitta is characterized by extreme heat and Vata by ungroundedness and lightness. However, this recipe is tridoshic! I add spices that make it suitable for Kapha too (although, it should be eaten by Kapha folks only rarely)
Avocado is heavy and oily which can help Vata’s dry and mobile characteristics. However, its sweet taste can benefit not only Vata but, Pitta too. Again, Kaphas should eat this dish occasionally.
This is the recipe:
Avocado Fried Rice
- 1 cup organic white basmati rice (cooked)
- 1 organic ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy frying pan on medium heat, add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic, cumin, and mustard seeds.
- Stir for a minute or until the seeds pop.
- Add the rest of the spices, and mix well.
- Add the cooked rice, yeast, and cilantro and stir quickly.
- When all ingredients are well combined, add the sliced avocado and mix again. Don't mash the avocado completely! It is nice to find some chunks in the rice!
- Serve immediately in a bowl.
- Top with more cilantro and yeast.
- Chew well and pair it with a cup of lemongrass tea.
This dish is tridoshic, but below are further recommendations to better suit your dosha:
Vata: Add some paprika and 1/2 tbsp of liquid aminos to the rice before adding the avocado.
Pitta: Leave out the garlic, the ginger, and the mustard seeds. Instead, add coriander seeds and fresh mint.
Kapha: Eat this rarely! And when you do, make sure you add extra black pepper and also some fenugreek seeds.
Don’t know your dosha? Discover it here.
Interested in another Avocado recipe?
It is to die for!