Sweet lassi has been appreciated in Ayurveda for thousands of years.
Lassi is a classical health drink, especially recommended for Vata and Pitta disorders.
This is the traditional recipe, but vegan.
Lassi is Very Different From Yogurt
Lassi is a drink that offers many health benefits.
It is cooling, which is particularly favorable for Pitta dosha or for the summer months.
It supports digestion by strengthening Agni — the digestive fire.
Lassi also helps the body open the srotas or fine channels, the ones that carry oxygen, bodily fluids, blood, and plasma.
This is significant, as, according to Ayurveda, it can decrease stagnation in the body, boost vitality and vigor, and help us sleep better, making us feel energetic and full or life.
Although lassi is made with yogurt, they both share different gunas or properties.
Yogurt is slightly heating — if you have any Pitta aggravation, it is best to stay away from it.
In addition, yogurt is normally very difficult to digest for every dosha, especially Kapha. It also blocks the srotas, resulting in lethargy, heaviness, and tiredness.
Gut Healing is Easier with Lassi
Taking care of your gut is essential to have a healthy body.
To improve your digestion and elimination, besides eating according to your body type, practicing intermittent fasting, and eating whole foods, you also need to cultivate friendly bacteria.
Lassi is loaded with good bacteria, even if vegan, and helps you restore the balance of your stomach and gut. It has a calming, cleansing effect, it’s rich in antibiotics, improves weight loss, and enhances your immune system.
Probiotics — valuable microorganisms — are also phenomenal to keep a healthy heart, lower bad cholesterol, and regulate blood sugar.
So, if you feel bloated, suffer from constipation, or heartburn after eating, lassi might be a nectar for you.
Tips to Drink the Perfect Lassi
- This lassi is made vegan by using coconut yogurt, rather than regular yogurt. However, make sure you choose an organic one or that you prepare your own at home. If you can digest milk well, it is key to use organic natural yogurt.
- Dilute the yogurt with lukewarm water. Temperature is important. Do not drink it cold.
- Drink it after meals, but avoid it after sunset, when Agni — digestive fire — is inherently weak.
- Be sure it is freshly prepared.
- Add spices to assist in its digestion. Cumin, turmeric, ginger, cardamom, or Himalayan salt are best.
The Traditional Recipe
Although lassi is ideal for Vata and Pitta dosha, Kapha can drink it sometimes, in moderation.
Ayurvedic Vegan Lassi Recipe
- 1 cup Lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup Organic coconut yogurt
- Cardamom to taste
- 1 tbsp Rose water
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend for 2 minutes.
- Serve on a tall glass and decorate with edible flowers.
- Be present and drink mindfully.
This recipe is tridoshic, good for all doshas; however, follow the below indications for each body type:
Vata: Add 1/2 tbsp sucanat.
Pitta: Add 1/2 tbsp maple syrup.
Kapha: Don’t add any sugar.
This is a powerful and delicious Ayurvedic drink. A tonic for the digestive system, the skin, the liver, and the blood.
Hope this helps!