Cited as “one of the most sacred plants on Earth” in the Atharva Veda, cannabis has often been considered a joy-giver and a liberator for thousands of years.
This plant has potent side effects.
Specially when not taken appropriately, it can disturb all doshas.
However, these are 3 cannabis recipes you can prepare at home to get its benefits without its toxicity.
Ayurveda and cannabis
Cannabis is not new to Ayurveda.
Brahmins and Sadhus apparently used it in India to induce themselves into deep relaxation and altered states of consciousness. They would prepare it in special milk concoctions (the recipe is included here!), and smoke it to enhance their spiritual enlightenment.
Others used it to strengthen their fighting skills, numb their sense of pain (although there is little evidence of this one in Ayurvedic texts), treat diseases like malaria and rheumatism, or increase their libido.
Ayurveda, however, considers that marijuana should only be taken rarely and that it must first be purified to counter the toxic and narcotic effects of excessive use (roots are more toxic than other parts of the plant).
This detox can occur by soaking marijuana in pure water for 24 hours, squeezing it, and letting it dry. Then, it can be fried in ghee. It could also be purified by mixing it with milk, spices, and other herbs.
When used sporadically (less than once a month), purified, and in minimal quantities:
Vatas might relax the nervous system and reduce anxiety and stress.
Pittas might reduce anger.
Kaphas might let go of sadness, depression, and grief.
Marijuana is hot and bitter, pungent, and astringent in taste.
Its qualities are: light, drying, and penetrating.
Plus, it has a dulling and narcotic effect.
Cannabis can lessen kapha, increase pitta, boost digestion, and lead to constipation. This herb also has the potential to damage or heal the reproductive tissue depending on how we use it.
Herbs have powerful effects; therefore we must be careful as to not make their use habitual. This is particularly true with Marijuana.
Cannabis could easily become a “crime against your wisdom” or prajnaparadh if one becomes addicted to it. It can lead to an illusion of genuine spiritual progress and dull the mind.
- First, it produces euphoria and stimulates Sattva guna.
- Then, it induces a rajasic state, when the “munchies” set in.
- Finally, it fogs the mind and activates a tamasic energy.
To support your health, consume cannabis moderately.
This is to avoid the many side effects it can have specially on the liver and the skin. Overall, extreme consumption causes an aggravation in Pitta dosha.
According to western medicine, Cannabinoids, like CBD and THC, found within the cannabis plant, may trigger a variety of positive effects, including acting as a balancing mechanism with the circulatory, nervous, and digestive systems.
However, it is important to avoid smoking it, and if you do and your main reason to consume it is due to its health benefits, try instead CBD oil.
These cannabis recipes mix CBD oil with other herbs or milk to balance its potential toxic effects.
Turmeric and cannabis wellness shot
- 1/2 cup Pure aloe vera juice
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- Pinch of black pepper
- 0.2 mL Cannabis alcohol tincture
- In a blender, add the aloe vera juice, turmeric, honey, and black pepper.
- Blend on high for 60-seconds or until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Gently stir in the cannabis tincture and enjoy.
Homemade hemp milk
- 1/4 cup Hulled hemp seeds
- 1 cup Filtered water
- 1/2 tsp Maple syrup
- 0.2 mL CBD oil
- Vanilla extract, cardamom, pinch of sea salt
- In a high-speed blender, combine the hemp hearts and water. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Turn the blender on high speed for 60-seconds. Add the maple syrup, vanilla extract, cardamom, and sea salt.
- Run the blender on high for another 60 seconds.
- Stir in the CBD oil and enjoy warm.
Bhang rose drink
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1 tbsp Rose water
- 0.2 mL CBD oil
- Rose powder, saffron, cardamon, bay leaf
- Soak the saffron in hot water for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix the milk, rose water, rose powder, saffron water, and cardamon in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pan, add the bay leaf, and simmer for a few minutes, until warm.
- Remove the bay leaf. Serve and add the CBD oil.
- Top with rose petals and enjoy!
For more recipes, go here!