I can hardly think of anything more annoying than being constipated.
Not being able to cleanse your body daily from all the waste material isn’t just uncomfortable, but with time, it can result in the formation of severe diseases.
These are some effective Ayurvedic remedies to stop that from happening.
Constipation is when you have infrequent (less often than once a day) bowel movements or difficult passage of stools that persists for several weeks or longer.
These are some symptoms:
- Infrequent bowel movements.
- Having lumpy or hard stools.
- Straining to have bowel movements.
- Feeling as though there’s a blockage in your rectum that prevents bowel movements.
- Feeling as though you can’t completely empty the stool from your rectum.
- Needing help to empty your rectum, such as using your hands to press on your abdomen.
The below Ayurvedic remedies to relieve constipation are a general guide on how to use nature to alleviate the issue.
However, if you are experiencing two or more of the described symptoms, for the last few months, make an appointment with your doctor to receive proper treatment.
The Ayurvedic perspective
According to Ayurveda, constipation occurs when there is too much Vata in the body.
Eating the wrong kinds of foods, like bread, pastries, or white potatoes, and living a stressful lifestyle can all contribute to increasing the cold and dry qualities and having difficulty eliminating every day.
No need to despair if this is you today. We’ve all been there.
Besides these Ayurvedic remedies to relieve constipation, it’s key that you follow a Vata-pacifying meal plan to have a long-lasting recovery.
Plus, it’s also important to balance Vata dosha in other ways. The truth is, these remedies will just act like a band-aid if you don’t make structural changes to your diet and lifestyle.
- Incorporate meditation or praying as part of your response against stress.
- Take breaks while exercising and working. Vata never functions well in highly tense environments.
- Drink plenty of warm liquids throughout your day to keep hydrated.
- Avoid wind and cold exposure. Keep your body nice and warm.
- Move! Lack of activity can definitely aggravate constipation.
- Don’t overindulge in sugary foods.
Avoiding constipation when travelling
Traveling can be particularly detrimental to our elimination.
If you think about it, travelling (long car rides and airplane) by itself is a very Vata activity. On the positive side, going to new destinations stimulates new ideas, creativity, and personal growth.
However, a change of routine and surroundings can also bring irregularity to your mind and body.
The mobile, rough, and fast characteristics of travelling inevitably increase the air and space elements, which we must try to reduce if we want a healthy elimination every day.
To avoid this, try the following tips:
- To calm the nervous system and hydrate the skin, on the morning of the trip, do an abhyanga massage with a warm Vata-pacifying oil, like sesame or almond oil.
- Rub lavender oil on your wrists to help you relax while traveling.
- Take with you ginger tea bags. You can just ask the flight attendant for hot water and drink the tea throughout your journey.
- If traveling overnight, take with you a fresh lime split in half. In the morning, squeeze the lime on a cup with hot water and drink it warm to stimulate vowel movement.
- Avoid having dry snacks like potato chips, protein bars, or brownie brittle.
The Ayurvedic remedies to relieve constipation
Take the Ayurvedic herbal formula Triphala to relieve constipation and feel at ease again.
Triphala consists of three tropical fruits of the myrobalan family—haritaki, amalaki, and bibhitaki — and it’s one of the main remedies in Ayurveda to treat constipation.
This remedy doesn’t cause dependency. In fact, it’s often taken as a daily supplement.
It can be used as a natural laxative without the side effects of over the counter prescriptions. It helps reduce constipation, abdominal pain, and flatulence, and improves the frequency and consistency of bowel movements.
In addition, it supports weight loss by promoting regular digestion and elimination and boosting a natural detox in the body.
This wonderful herb combination protects the body against cancer in the digestive system, reduces inflammation levels, and aids in rejuvenation.
How to drink triphala?
Simply take 1-5 grams of Triphala powder and mix it with warm water. Let it sit for a few minutes and drink warm right before sleep.
You could also take 2-5 tablets before going to bed.
Drink plant-based milk with flaxseeds
A variation of this remedy is milk with ghee, however, as many of us are vegan this is a better option.
I also like the taste more.
First, grind 1/2 tbsp of whole flaxseeds and add them to a cup of hot plant-based milk. Let them soak for at least 15 minutes.
If you are calorie-concious, mix the seeds with boiling water.
Take this before going to bed.
This is a great remedy for constipation, as the seed husks move through the colon like literally a scrub brush. Take 1/2 to 1 tbsp with lots of warm water — at least 2 cups (0.47 liters) — in the morning.
You could also add it to your home-made fruit juice.
Also known as the diamond pose, this position can offer instant constipation relief.
- Bend your knees, roll your calf muscles out, and point your toes behind.
- Maintaining a straight posture, sit and release the butt in between the heels.
- Sit for 4-5 minutes in this pose, or until you feel your bowels moving.
Do it in the mornings at the same time every day, to help your body eliminate.
A light, healthy breakfast can help with constipation too.
Try my warm, Ayurvedic, spiced apples recipe to support your efforts.