As much as I am a control freak and have a set routine for my mornings that pretty much involve meditation, the setting of a intention for my day, breathing exercises, a good workout, and enough time to get to work without stressing, life happens. And even though I have a plan – that I have actually perfected over the years – sometimes I just don’t follow it because the circumstances don’t allow me. For the past two weeks I felt specially sick with flu symptoms that didn’t seem to go away despite all the care I put into my body. No surprisingly, my mornings were hectic, stressful, and chaotic. And so were the rest of my days.
I noticed such a big difference in my reactions to situations and even in the experiences I attracted by starting my days in such a rush. I believe, one of the most noticeable reasons was my lack of a clear intention for my days. I believe that by setting clear intentions you can definitely set the tone of your day, establish an structure of success for your goals, and overall be more powerful in that which you want to accomplish.
WHAT IS AN INTENTION?
Setting daily intentions that are clear and come from your heart have the wonderful effect of aligning you with your true-self. I know that setting weekly or monthly goals provide a path to follow and give me an end line so it’s easier to focus on what I need to do to get where I want. However, they are not enough! A game changer are daily intentions. But, what is an intention? An intention is a purpose, and aim that you are happy to commit with. It recognizes your values and guides your actions as you move through your day. An intention is the first step in visualizing and embodying who you want to become.
For example an intention might be “forgive others”, “let go of perfectionism”, “show love to my family”, or “enjoy my meditation practice”. Our intentions create our reality and if we do them every day, they can have the power of changing our lives.
WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE
- Think of what is important to you. Get to your heart to find a genuine intention that makes you feel balanced and happy. Ask yourself these questions: What do you want to create in your life? What do you want to dissolve in your life? What are you having difficulty letting go? What makes you happy? What makes you unhappy? What fears do you want to release? What areas in your life need healing?
- Be clear about your intention. It all starts in your mind so make sure it is not ambivalent. Say it to yourself and notice how the intention makes you feel. Does it feel natural and easy to adhere to? or maybe it feels like something hard that will require tons of effort? Just observe your thoughts and emotions.
- In order to make it more powerful, try writing down your intention.
- Set a morning routine that involves the setting of intentions. Create a space and time that is sacred and that allows you to expose to the universe that which you intend. Be consistent! Think of this process as the planting of seeds in your heart and brain that will help you get grounded and connect to what matters most to you.
- Make sure it has a positive tone and that is uplifting. Instead of saying: ” I intend to be less stressed today” say “I intend to be peaceful today”
- Keep your intention as a beacon of light throughout your day. Remember why you set it and try to be true to it.