The sacral chakra, or svadhisthana in Sanskrit, is the second main energy point in the body.
When it is blocked, our body, emotions, thoughts, and health can suffer. Thereby, learning how to balance this spinning vortex of energy is necessary to have a healthy, pleasureful, and harmonious life.
Let’s discover its power and learn how we can increase our joy and strengthen our connection to ourselves and others.
The sacral chakra, a highly spiritual energy center, is located in the lower abdomen, below the navel, in the pelvic area.
Orange is the color that represents it and symbolizes enthusiasm, bliss, happiness, and creativity. This is also the color that epitomizes new beginnings, strength, and courage.
The sacral chakra symbol is an orange lotus flower that consists of the following elements:
- 6 petals. These denote the six negative aspects of our nature that we need to overcome to cleanse and purify this center — wrath, hate, jealousy, cruelty, lust, and pride.
- A circle with the crescent moon symbol in the middle. The circle is the representation of the continuous change cycles we are subject to. Likewise, the moon is a feminine figure that embodies infinity, immortality, as well as the dark, soothing, and cooling side of nature. The moon is the divine feminine or Yin energy.
- Seed mantra व VAM in the center. Vam is the sound of the sacral chakra. The power of its vibration can cleanse and feed this chakra with inspiration, pleasure, and sexuality.
Sacral chakra emotional effects
In the emotional realm, this swirling wheel, when aligned, is responsible for making us feel congruous or in harmony. We are able to experience our emotions without getting too attached or judgmental.
It helps us channel our sexual desires in a healthy manner and express our creativity fluidly.
In a balanced mode, we become emotionally aware and not delusional. That means, we still feel passion for what we love and connect on deeper levels with others, while recognizing the fragility of our own rigid boundaries.
Yet, the sacral chakra often gets blocked — underactive or overactive — when we get chronically stressed and repress our emotions, curb our desires, and engage in addictive behaviors.
Sexual trauma, miscarriages, overindulging in sexual fantasies, a vatogenic lifestyle, and even processed foods, can all impede or retard its natural flow as well.
Moreover, the strong association of this chakra with the element of water is significant, as water embodies the concepts of unobstructed flow and letting go, both internal positive attitudes toward our emotions.
Common symptoms of a DEFICIENT sacral chakra include feelings of:
- Low libido
- Detachment and separation due to stiff boundaries
- Lack of creativity
Common symptoms of an OVERACTIVE sacral chakra include feelings of:
- Overly flexible boundaries
- Erratic behavior
Physical effects of a sacral chakra imbalance
On a physical level, the sacral chakra is linked to the gonad glands, bladder, kidneys, and reproductive organs.
If imbalanced, these parts of the body might get affected, including getting bladder infections more easily or frequently, having stiffness of the hips, and noticing a decrease in sexual interest.
These are other tangible blockage signs you might be experiencing:
- Menstrual cramps
- Lower back pain
- Kidney issues
- Ovarian cysts
- Reproductive issues
- Pain during intercourse
- Pelvic problems
Learn more about how to improve your pelvic floor
Other signs of blocked sacral energy
The sacral chakra contains our energetic reserves and our power of creation, and as such, we must intend to carefully protect it.
By acknowledging its current state and connecting with it through healing practices, we can bring our sexuality, sensuality, and creativity back into alignment.
This is important not only to create safer intimate bonds, but to discover our own power of choice and expression.
At first glance, these inner desires and wants might seem hedonistic in nature.
However, enjoying life and seeking healthy pleasures can also make our spiritual path worth pursuing.
Balancing the sacral chakra and healing our relationship with ourselves and other people could bring us more delightful, positive, and compassionate interactions and life experiences.
How to remove the blockage
There are helpful ways to balance your sacral chakra.
To live well, we need to gain insight into our deepest emotions and learn how to sit with the depth of our feelings.
In the body
- Eat orange colored foods. Carrots, sweet potato, orange cauliflower, butternut squash, oranges, tangerines, mangoes, papaya, melons, orange beets, turmeric, apricots, eggs, and salmon should be part of your diet— if your body digests them well (discover your body type). An easy way to incorporate more orange color into your life is by using turmeric powder with some of your favorite recipes.
- Connect with a body of water. Take a warm bath or shower or swim in the ocean to balance the svadhisthana chakra.
- Yoga, Ayurveda’s sister science, offers poses that can support the smooth flow of energy through the second chakra. For instance, the goddess pose or Utkata Konasana, reverse warrior pose, wide-legged forward bend C pose, seated forward bend pose, or hip openers like pigeon pose are fantastic when working on the sacral chakra.
- Listen to 417hz to bring harmony to svadhisthana. This frequency can cleanse negativity and encourage new beginnings.
- Apply essential oils on your sacral chakra. Combine some sesame or coconut oil with sandalwood, jasmine, clary sage, pink pepper seed, or orange essential oils.
- Use the color orange. In your clothes or with crystals, such as orange calcite, carnelian, and sunstone.
In the mind
- Meditate, first thing in the morning, imagining an orange, vibrant light clearing the clutter from your sacral chakra.
- Aromatherapy is a valuable technique. Whether you use candles, essential oils, or incense, choose ylang ylang, rose, sweet orange, tangerine, patchouli, or helichrysum.
- Practice conscious breathing for 5–10 minutes in a supported fish pose. Simply place a pillow lengthwise on your mat and lean back onto it so that your entire back rests on the pillow. Bring the soles of your feet together to touch, allowing your knees to gently fall apart to either side. Your arms can rest at the sides. Focus all your attention on your pelvis while breathing deeply.
- The mantra for the sacral chakra is VAM. Repeat it mentally or vocally in your meditation practice.
- Journal. Thy this prompt to get the self-reflection started: What would feeling empowered in my creativity and sexuality look like?
Other ways to balance your sacral chakra: affirmations
In addition, repeat these affirmations.
Write them down if possible. Some might resonate more with you than others.
I trust my loved ones, and they can trust me.
I invite joy into my life.
When I wake up, I feel energized and eager to begin my day.
I embrace change.
I attract people who treat me with love and respect.
My emotions are free-flowing and balanced.
I am a creative being.
I embrace my vibrant sexuality.
Creating art nourishes my soul and brings me joy.
I receive pleasure and abundance with every breath I take.
I let go of past feelings that no longer serve me.
I breathe in a powerful golden light.
I am living a pleasurable life.
I am honoring my body and treating myself respectfully.
I feel joyful, energetic, and alive.
My emotions flow freely in a balanced and healthy way.
Let me know your favorite ways to balance your sacral chakra and if there’s any that you feel should make the list!