The third eye chakra, or Ajna in Sanskrit, is the sixth main energy point in the body.
When it is blocked, our body, emotions, thoughts, and health can suffer. Thereby, learning how to balance this spinning vortex of energy is necessary to have a healthy, fulfilled life.
Let’s discover its power and learn how we can increase awareness and tap into our intuition.
The third eye chakra, a highly spiritual energy center, is on the forehead between the eyes.
Indigo blue is the color that represents it and symbolizes wisdom and intuition, and our inner longing to embrace spirituality. This is also the color that allows for a deeper focus during meditation.
The third eye chakra symbol is an indigo blue lotus, which consists of:
- Two petals that represent Ida and Pingala. These are two fundamental subtle energy pathways or nadis within the spine. The two petals can also mean our two eyes or the pineal and pituitary glands.
- A downward-facing triangle which symbolizes enlightenment and connection to the divine.
- The seed mantra OM in the center. OM is considered the most primordial of sounds. It includes all other sounds.
In the emotional realm, this swirling wheel, when aligned, is responsible for making us feel clear, concentrated, intuitive, and imaginative. It helps us cultivate a strong, positive, spiritual connection with the rest of the world and provides us with wisdom, knowledge, and insight. We effortlessly trust in our own instinct and inner voice.
However, we obstruct and retard its natural flow when we increase our ego desires and become attached to people and things. A stagnated third eye chakra is the result of cravings, impatience, and materialism. We stop seeing reality clearly and start living in a disillusioned state.
The scenario of an overactive third eye chakra is unusual; however, its hyperactivity might lead to paranormal experiences and hallucinations.
Common symptoms of a third eye chakra imbalance include:
- Lack of focus
- No self-introspection and wisdom
Physical effects of a third eye chakra imbalance
On a physical level, the third eye chakra is linked to the pineal gland, the neuroendocrine organ that controls our circadian rhythm and plays a role in our spiritual development. It also helps harmonize our molecular, hormonal, physiological, and chemical processes.
The pineal gland offers the brain “light and dark” data through the hormone melatonin. This synergy is what maintains our bodies healthy and our metabolism regulated. Disruption in this rhythm is a cause of disease. When the pineal gland is not functioning properly, Vata can become aggravated.
These are some tangible blockage signs you might be experiencing:
- Endocrine imbalances (including weight gain and acne)
- Eye problems
Other signs of blocked third eye energy
There are times when we feel stuck and unable to look beyond our problems.
It can look like wanting to change something about our life, but then losing motivation to go for it.
Or the endless thinking about what could be better.
Yet, we get imprisoned in our own jail of self-limiting beliefs.
Indecision, worry, and fear stop us from being fully present and taking action towards the life of our dreams.
Lack of purpose is also a prevalent indication of a third eye obstruction. When we believe life has no meaning and direction, we feel constantly bored, dissatisfied, and empty. This can affect every aspect of our life, including our relationships and work.
A lack of purpose can also contribute to being unable to connect to our intuition, find answers, and see a way out of our empty feelings.
Unsurprisingly, this leads to anxiety and depression.
These sensations may reveal that our third eye chakra is blocked.
Opening Ajna is key to outgrowing current problematic situations, overcoming our fear of external judgement, honoring our authentic Self, and finding hope in the future.
Most importantly, working purposefully on the third eye chakra will help us explore, accept, and welcome our true unique identity, improve our self-awareness, and embark on a journey of self discovery, where we listen and trust our intuition.
How to remove the blockage
There are helpful ways to balance your third eye chakra.
To live well, we require seeing the bigger picture, connecting to our intuition, and being fully present.
In the body
- Eat purple colored foods. Grapes, blueberries, purple sweet potato, lavender, eggplants, figs, elderberries, purple kale, mangosteen, and purple cauliflower should be part of your diet— if your body digests them well (discover your body type). An easy way to incorporate more purple foods into your life is by using purple sweet potato powder with some of your favorite recipes.
- Sun gazing is an effective and lovely practice. Sit outside somewhere comfortable where you can see the sun. Close your eyes and inhale all the sun’s light into your third eye. Imagine this light piercing through the veils obscuring your connection with your inner wisdom. Listen to your intuition. What is it saying?
- Superfoods that can support and detoxify the third eye are raw cacao, goji berries, honey, and anise.
- Apply essential oils on your third eye chakra. Combine some sesame or coconut oil with jasmine, cinnamon, lemongrass, or sandalwood essential oils. These can also heal the pineal gland and facilitate spiritual awareness.
- Yoga, Ayurveda’s sister science, offers poses that increase perception and consciousness. Practice inversions for improved brain function and to stimulate and regulate all bodily systems. For instance, downward dog, child pose, lotus pose, legs up the wall, and Shirshasana (headstand) are fantastic when working on the third eye chakra.
In the mind
- Journaling can be a potent mirror into your subconscious and reveal suppressed emotions that are preventing you from living a fulfilling life.
- The mantra for the third eye chakra is OM. Repeat it mentally or vocally in your meditation practice.
- Color therapy and stone therapy are important. Use the indigo blue or violet color to balance Ajna. Crystals like amethyst, lapis lazuli, labradorite, sodalite, azurite, black obsidian, clear quartz, lolite, lepidolite, moonstone, purple fluorite, black tourmaline, kyanite, and turquoise are all good to boost your inner wisdom.
- Practice conscious breathing for 5–10 minutes. Sit with your spine elongated and focus all your attention on your third eye.
- Meditate, first thing in the morning, imagining a violet light clearing the clutter from your third eye.
- Aromatherapy is a valuable technique. Whether you use candles, essential oils, or incense, choose patchouli, frankincense, lavender, cedarwood, clary sage, marjoram, rosemary oil, or grapefruit oil.
Other ways to balance your third eye chakra: affirmations
In addition, repeat these affirmations.
Write them down if possible. Some might resonate more with you than others.
*I am a present observer in my life
*I am the source of my truth
*My third eye sees all
*My intuition is precise and clear
*My life moves effortlessly towards my purpose
*I am able to act in alignment with my divine purpose
*My body speaks to me and I listen to the signs and guidance I receive
*Everything I need is within me
*I release and forgive the past
*I am a divine being
*I am willing to be guided by the Universe
*I am powerful
*I give myself permission to be happy and fulfilled in my life
*My thoughts are loving and positive
*I am wise, intuitive, and connected to my inner guidance
Let me know your favorite ways to balance your third eye chakra and if there’s any that you feel should make the list!